MODEL(S): R | RX | RX BROOKLYN | RX MOJAVE | R Adventure
LAST UPDATED: Oct 31, 2023
Please perform the steps in the order detailed below to ensure the controller is properly replaced.
- 4mm Allen wrench
- 2.5mm Allen wrench
- 1 zip tie
- zip tie cutters
1. Ensure that the battery is turned OFF before performing any work on the bike. Remove the battery from the bike and have it charge on the bike charger through the duration of the following steps while it is removed, as this will allow the battery to reset any safety modes the controller may have triggered.
2. Locate the plastic cover underneath the seat fastened by a zip tie. Cut the zip tie (yellow arrow in the picture below), fold the cover back towards the rear wheel to expose the controller wiring connections, and begin disconnecting the wires that are easily accessible. The white connector (if applicable) has a locking tab that you can free up by using the 2.5mm Allen wrench to push the tab out.
The photo below with the red arrow shows where you will push down on the tab. For any hard-to-reach connections, you can wait until you unscrew the controller from the frame.
3. Locate and remove the two hex bolts that mount the back side of the seat to the frame, located underneath the seat, using the 4mm Allen wrench, and then rotate the seat. This will expose the 4 bolts that mount the controller to the frame. Unscrew the 4 hex bolts circled in yellow in the photo below using a 2.5mm Allen wrench to detach the controller from the frame.
Save the 4 bolts to install the replacement controller later.
4. Remove the remaining wiring connections from the controller, including the brown connector located just above the rear brake light.
5. Once wiring connections have been disconnected, remove the controller and set it aside. The removed controller will look like the below photo. There are a total of 9 connections, and one of them has masking tape on the end, indicating it is not currently in use (for later use as a turn signal connection).
- After removal, connect all connections to the new controller and verify that the issue is resolved. Then follow the above process in reverse to install the replacement controller.
- Ensure all connections are secure, then set the cover back in place and install a new zip tie to secure it.
- Once all connections are secure, the controller is mounted and the seat is back in place, we can then reinstall the battery, turn the bike on, and take it for a test ride.
Note: Power the battery OFF when removing it from the charger and reinstalling it on the bike.
- After confirming the proper operation of the bike, package up the old controller in the packaging that was used to ship the replacement to you, place the included return label on the package, and take it to your local carrier for drop off so SUPER73 can get it back for testing.